After nearly a month and a half of packing, unpacking, and repacking, we have finally gotten our first two PODS (Portal On Demand Storage) packed and ready to go. Notice that I said first two PODS. We were sure that two PODS would hold all of our household goods - not so. The movers arrived this morning to load up our stuff and by lunchtime we could tell that our stuff was definitely going to be bigger than the two PODS sitting in our driveway. One Dugger item-filled PODS was picked up this afternoon (which is a very scary thing to watch, folks. The PODS shimmied and swayed as the driver tried to maneuver it back onto his truck - hope we don't need whatever was loaded on there as I'm sure it's all in a millions pieces by now) and an empty one now sits in its place ready to be filled with the remainder of our belongings. I have decided that I really love all of our stuff EXCEPT when we are trying to move it across the country. At this point I think we'd both be happy to just leave it all here and buy new stuff when we get to Colorado. Well, I would probably still keep my clothes. I've worked very hard to acquire the clothing collection that I have.
Packing has been a comedy of errors for us. I have repacked clothes about ten times trying to figure out what to take to wear while traveling, what to have on hand once we arrive in Colorado, what to keep out to wear here for the last week . . . my brain hurts! Buck decided to grill hamburgers and bratwursts for our meals during our last week here, which sounded great to me. He got all of the hamburger patties and sausages on the grill when he realized that we had packed up all of the grilling utensils! I gave him a fork and spoon to turn the meat with and wished him the best of luck. He was successful in turning the meat, but he burned all of the hair off of his arm in the process. HA!
And the fun continues. There's no more washing now that the washer and dryer are packed up, so we are having a contest to see who can wear the same rancid clothes for the longest amount of time. Maybe by tomorrow night the pants I have on will be able to stand up by themselves. We are also reverting to paper towels for all of our drying needs. Buck dried off with shop towels after his shower tonight. It turns out that shop towels are surprisingly absorbent. Yesterday was our last day of freshly ground morning coffee for who knows how long since the coffee maker is now boxed up. Microwave coffee singles and non-dairy powdered creamer just ain't the same, folks. But there are some advantages to this moving stuff. We get to eat out for all our meals since we have no fridge and no kitchen utensils left - yippee! No cooking or washing dishes!
Thank you for joining the continuing saga of our cross country adventure. Tune in tomorrow as we embark on the endless job of house cleaning, organizing odds and ends, and (of course) to find out how many times I repack my suit case.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! You HAVE been busy. Tell Buck that Clay is an expert at using a fork for turning things on the grill. Why he doesn't use the grill utensils we have is beyond me. This is an adventure for sure. Did you sell the house or is it still up for sale?
ReplyDelete